Thursday, June 28, 2012

The following pictures were all taken during a tour of a folk village I went on with a friend of mine in 2008. It was a REALLY humid day, I remember, but we still had a good time. This particular folk village was located near Seoul and has had many films and television costume dramas shot in it.


I think this building was a re-creation of a minor scholar official's house (not 100% sure) in Joseon Korea. The folk village was home to many structures that were re-creations of traditional buildings. I thought this pic offered a nice contrast of colour between the trees, the roof and the man with the cart. Makes me forget how humid it was!

 
This thing worked sort of like a giant mortar and pestle. It appears to have been used to pound millet, wheat, or even rice. Since Korea was not traditionally a bread-eating culture, I suppose wheat wouldn't be as likely. I thought the texture of the wood and the coordinated colours really came out nicely in this pic. This was a feature of the "farmer's house" at the folk village.

  
Here's a side view of the traditional farmer's house that was previously mentioned. I thought this was one of the most interesting structures on account of the thatched roof and various traditional farm implements all over the place. Again I really like the soft colours of the structure.


Yet another feature of the farmer's house. Here we have ears of corn tied up and drying in the sun. For some reason, it initially surprised me to find out that Koreans had been eating corn for centuries and that it was part of their traditional diet. Until then I had always thought of corn as a specifically "Western" food, although in hindsight I can't think why. To the left of the corn there is a seated man, somewhat obscured by a rolled up mat of some sort. He was an actor playing the role of the farmer. Mostly he just sat there doing farmer stuff. As I had already spent time with modern Korean farmers at that point, I found his portrayal to be quite realistic.

 
This goat was in a pen behind the farmer's house. He just stuck his head up as I was turning around and I got this shot. What more can I say? It's a good shot of a goat, hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment