Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year!

Happy new year everyone! At least I hope its happy, unlike mine so far... but yes! a new year has dawned with bright hopes for the future. I had a fairly busy holiday with my family, celebrating Christmas and all that, which is why I didn't update this thing. I felt it was kind of ominous to leave that post about Kim Jeong Il's death up there without anything new, but oh well. Now I'm back in school, learning all about East Asia again after a sadly lackluster fist semester (in regards to my marks I mean).

For Christmas a didn't receive too much that was East Asian related except for the two books, The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff and the Atlus video game, Catherine. The books consist of philosophical conversations with Winnie the Pooh and his buddy Piglet centered around one of the most complicated Chinese philosophies out there, Taoism (Daoism). I'm not making this up, its pretty ingenious. The video game is a block-stacking puzzle game in which you help a protagonist with commitment issues, discern whether he wants to marry his girlfriend. And there's demons. Alright, I'll admit that sound ridiculous but its actually a really awesome game. Check it out if you're looking for something new, it's been out for a while so its cheap!



In other news, I've finally started working on my test website for my tutoring business, which is not so much a business as it is me tutoring people and getting paid for it. I'm advertising as an ESL tutor who specializes in teaching Korean and Japanese students. YEAH, YEAH, I know what your thinking, but I don't date students. The reason I chose to advertise it as such is because when your teaching a language to someone it really helps if you understand how their native language works. For example, because I'm studying Korean and have studied Japanese to a certain degree I understand that Korean and Japanese don't use articles the way English does. Ever wonder why Korean or Japanese ESL speakers often forget to include "a" or "the" in front of nouns? That's why. Got any Korean or Japanese friends who need help with their English? Call me! And yes... I teach males as well. Geez. Anyway, enough advertising.


I finally got around to watching the iconic Akira Kurosawa (possibly the most famous Japanese director of all time) film The 7 Samurai. I'm honestly surprised it took me so long to get around to watching it, I guess I was always turned off by the film's 3 hr and 30 min run time. For someone who "suffers" from ADHD that's a long time to sit down. Anyway, after watching it I can safely say that its praise is merited. It's a good, action packed film with great characters and a cool and interesting story. Sure its long, but its three and a half hours of solid film-making so you couldn't do much better. Oh yeah, and its in black and white too, but I've never really understood why that's a problem for some people. Seriously, watch it if you have the time, its the definitive samurai film.

Speaking of film, I have plans to restart up my web series, West of Hollywood for the new year. I've just been so lazy with it. Time to get cracking! Ah... so much to do and so little pressure.          

       

No comments:

Post a Comment