Saturday, October 22, 2011

Video Gaming!

Hello hello!

Recently I just beat two games I was working on. Because of school it takes me forever to get through games now, which I guess is all for the best... *sigh*. These two games are of Japanese origin and both are fairly interesting which is why I'm blogging about them.

 
I mentioned in a previous post that I just recently got my hands on Yakuza 3. Well earlier this week I finally beat Yakuza 2 on Playstation 2! The final game clock was at 50 minutes! I spent 50 hours of my life on that game! (cause I was trying to complete all the extra missions) But I believe it to be time well spent because few games have such an engaging storyline and such likable characters, at least in my opinion. I explained in my "Virtual Gangstah" post what the Yakuza series is all about, so you can check there if you want some details.The sad thing about this game is that the English version its not easy to find.


Osaka as seen in Yakuza 2

 Its kind of strange cause Yakuza 1 can be easily found for about 20 bucks just about anywhere online but I had to snag my copy of Yakuza 2 from Ebay and even then there weren't many sellers. I managed to get it for 40 bucks which was the cheapest price I could find. It's a shame cause Yakuza 1, 3 and 4 are readily available in North America but this one is rather illusive. Considering how detailed and complex the storylines are of each respective game with characters and events carrying over into subsequent episodes, Yakuza 2 being hard to find might be annoying for latecomers to the series. Yakuza 2 has you traveling back and fourth between Tokyo and Osaka and the areas are fairly detailed to the point where you can actually learn a thing or two about the actual cities that their modeled after. The story involves a Japanese mob war between Kanto and Kansai gangsters (those are regions in Japan, Tokyo is in the Kanto region and Osaka is in the Kansai region and has it's own dialect of Japanese called Kansai-ban). The story also features a complicated subplot dealing with a ruthless Korean Mafia group, the members of which actually speak Korean in the game (although I'm pretty sure its spoken phonetically by Japanese actors, still its cool). If you can find it I recommend checking it out, might just give you PS2 some new life!



The Second game that I managed to get through was Vanquish. It's a third person shooter that is similar in play-style to Gears of War, a much more popular 3rd person shooter franchise. In fact, some people have dubbed it "The Japanese Gears of War". How is it Japanese you ask? Well, in Gears of War you play as hulking space marines who look like they chew iron and spit bullets. The enemies throughout the game are these sort of alien underground creatures who are equally hulking, ugly humanoids who wanna kill you. The colour palette of the game is famous for being stark with a lot of gray and brown highlighting dilapidated war-torn landscapes.

Vanquish

Gears of War 3
 
 As you may be able to tell from the screens both of these are great games, but how is Vanquish more "Japanese"? Instead of playing as space hulks who are fighting muscular, grotesque, alien mole-people who are trying to overrun humanity, you are a DARPA operative in a power suit that has a rocket sliding ability! Yay! And the best part? You fight... get ready for it.... evil, Russian, space robots who are trying destroy the United States with a giant, evil, heat wave emitter that is located on a space colony! Yattaaaaaa!!! The game also takes place on a lush and futuristic space colony so instead of grays and browns you get a lot more blues and reds. It's a nice contrast. Although Vanquish wasn't all that popular on release it is well worth playing. It was dubbed on gamespot.com as being the "best game of 2010 that no one played."Presently it has been out for a while and I imagine most people who were going to play it already have. However, for the uninitiated, it is available new for around 20-30$ so if you haven't given it a chance and are looking for a fun and creative shooter with a decent storyline (believe it or not) and crazy action then you couldn't do much better than Vanquish.

P.S. Its made by Platinum, the same guys who made Bayonetta! That's a good thing! Also its available on PS3 and Xbox 360!  

 





     

No comments:

Post a Comment