Thursday, October 20, 2011

go go go!

Hey guys and gals!

Today is a monumental occasion! It will go down in history as one of awesomest things ever! Today is the day I have won my first go game using intentional strategy! WOOO! Alright so that's kind of nerdy but I'm someone who lacks any semblance of strategy. I suck at chess; I suck at RTS games; and I suck at planning in general. BUT I WON AT GO by 15 points!

A screen shot of my win! I'm black!
   
It's on a 9x9 board and it's on the easiest setting, but still! I'm a beginner and I just started learning how to play this game a few days ago and I can tell you, is pretty damn complicated. For those of you who don't know what go is I shall tell you! It's a strategy board game which was invented in China a really long time ago. There is mention of it in the Confucian Analects (you know who Confucius is right?) and Confucius lived in the 3rd century B.C. so we're talking about a few thousand years here. The name "go" is actually a short form for "i-go" (ee-goe) which is the Japanese name for the game. I suppose westerners probably discovered this game in Japan, hence the English name. In China its called "weiqi" (weichi) and in Korea it's called "paduk". I imagine it probably made its way to Japan (where it is most internationally well known) via Korea. We know it was popular in Japan at least around the 10th century A.D because it's mentioned in the first Japanese novel (which is also believed to be the world's first novel) Tale of the Genji

For those of you who are interested in this game but have no direction, the program that you see above you is a good place to start as it lets you adjust the bored size and difficulty setting for noobs like me. As well it features an online option which enables you to play against other human players when you get good. Its PanadaNet's open-gl go client available for free at:

http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/glgo/

and yes, it works on Windows 7.

If you want to learn how to play the game, the guide I'm using is called "How to Master Go in Ten Days" and is a good gradual introduction available at:

http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/introduction_of_go/

If your interested in Go in general but have no outlet, you can check out PandaNet's main English site at:

http://www.pandanet-igs.com

Happy going! hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment